Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"The Best of the 80's" -Brings out the "WOW"



This morning I watched, Mike & Mike in the Morning. It is an ESPN radio program that talks about sports. This morning the program's theme was, "Best of  the 80's".





 They interviewed some of the greatest athletes in the 80's such as Larry Bird, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Jim McMahon. They wanted to draw us back to all things in the 80's. They did a fantastic job of bringing my heart back to my childhood. They talked about the best actors, best movies, best songs, best fashions, best sports moments, best teams, best sports calls and the best athletes of the 80's. Since the program is primarily a sports program they drew my in to some great memories. I felt a level of awe of the 80's. There was a short clip of the NBA Dunk Contest. The final 2 of the contest were Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins. They had some spectacular dunks. However, I'll never forget the dunk that won it. It was Michael Jordan jumping from the free throw line to dunk the ball. Every time I watch it I am amazed. It is such a "WOW" I wish I could do that moment. I was full of awe. It seemed like Michael Jordan was in the air for like 5 minutes. He had the opportunity to draw people into his greatness.

That brings me to aim of this article. Today the church has lost the "WOW" of Jesus Christ. We have forgotten that when we walk into sanctuary that we are collectively in the presence of True Greatness. The Pastor needs to remember that he is to draw people to realize that they are in the presence of the Greatest Person in all of History. There is no one more preeminent in history than Jesus Christ. Let us return to the "WOW" of Jesus Christ! Amen?

No comments: